Friday, February 24, 2012

Travel in Grandfather and Granny’s day and today


2/22/12

I don’t know why it struck me in a particular way yesterday evening, that it took my grandparents almost as long to get here from Scotland on any given occasion, by sea, as I have allowed for my whole time here. There are other marked contrasts too, such as how casually and flexibly I can plan my trip and route as I go along, thanks to mobile phone communication, internet booking of trains, hotels and flights. Still, today it requires a booking many weeks in advance to secure a train on the main long distance routes. That’s why I flew to Varanasi and will fly to Chennai later in March. I wonder how long in advance my grandparents needed to book a train in their day. And then there’s the reliability of cars and roads nowadays. My grandfather’s letters to his father (which I have been reading thanks to Brian’s photocopies) are replete with references to slow car journeys with punctures and petrol choking. Its early days for me to be speaking about this, but I know that the main highways of Rajasthan are very passable today and that my chosen means of getting around - chauffeur-driven car - is widely regarded as the best way.
Nevertheless my itinerary for 25 days would probably have had grandfather surprised enough to raise his bushy eyebrows were he to learn of it. Right now (till I check it out with my driver) it looks as follows:

Agra – Fatepur Sikri – Rathambhore -  Kota and Piploda – Udaipur – Todgarh – Beawar – Ajitgarh – Narirabad – Ashapura – Jaipur – Ajmer – Pushkar – Erinpura - Jodhpur – Jasilmer – Khuri – Bikaner – Jhunjhunu – Delhi.

No comments:

Post a Comment