Saturday, March 10, 2012

Udaipur to Ranakpur


3/7/12

Leaving Udaipur this morning the preparations for the Holi celebration were well underway. The City Palace grounds were being prepared for the king and the royal family to enjoy and celebrate with guests who would pay a handsome price to witness the pageantry and the speeches, cocktails and a fine dinner. Meanwhile on the streets huge stacks of hay were gradually accumulating along with large and small tree branches, and smaller sticks with orange color markings. All these are in readiness for the forming of a big bonfire. A few townspeople returning from work had clearly begun Holi in their workplaces with the throwing of paint at each other. As we drove out of Udaipur we met a camel coming from who knows how far away heavily laden with hay carefully balanced on its back – the herder walking alongside.

As we arrived in Ranakpur I visited the two Jain temples, though at one I was prevented from approaching too closely being told in no uncertain terms “only Indian people beyond this point.” I went on to have lunch and then to visit the local weavers of cotton carpet. The owner gestured towards an ornate old bullcart and said “that’s our Ferrari.” I was tickled because it gave me a photo to put alongside the story of the missionary journey through Erinpura. As I explained my interest in his bullcart, Bumpy was able to get precise directions for that next stop on my pilgrimage. At some point this evening I will don my oldest clothes to be ready fo the paint throwing and then tomorrow I will don my Indian style Holi attire, purchased in Udaipur,, for the main festival.     

 A small procession in Udaipur on the Eve of Holi

 Jain Temple in Ranakpur
 The "Ferrari" of a Ranakpur weaver

No comments:

Post a Comment