Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Loch Leven and Thornton

4/25/12

It has been good to get settled in to the cottage in Perth. I have ventured out several times. Yesterday I had a full day starting with a visit to Thornton and a round of golf on the first course I ever played, pulling the very same golf bag I ever owned. This is the first round I have played in many years, and I was remembering my golfing buddy Rev. Scott Morton who passed away recently at the good old age of 103. I was remembering the many sayings we had for good and bad shots as we went around the courses at Van Cortlandt Park, Split Rock, and Pelham, all in or near NYC. The rain has been very frequent here over several days, but while I played golf the sun shone and only a few short showers prompted me to put up my umbrella. Loch Leven is the delight to the eyes that it has always been, resplendent in its natural beauty and full of the resonances of history. Viewing the village of my teenage years this many years later brought back many memories. The starter on the golf course, Catriona, remembered my Dad officiating her wedding - adding a personal touch to my reminiscing.

 Loch Leven from the M90

The Lomond hills above Loch Leven

Leslie Baptist Church where I attended on Sunday evenings in my teenage years
 Glenrothes High School - where I was a pupil for four years.


The rugby pitch (in the background) that brought back memories of games played and my concussion after I accidentally ran into the goal posts during a match!

 The running track at Glenrothes High School

Loch Leven at the last of sunset. The skies have been magnificent over the past few evenings.
 Thornton Parish Church manse at 12 Strathore Road, home of my youth.

Thornton Parish Church
 First Tee at Thornton Golf Course

The Thornton Golf Clubhouse

My trusty Dunlop golf-bag (from age 12) carrying my Mizuno clubs - a good bit newer !

The sun continued to shine on my round of golf, even while dark clouds gathered around.

1 comment:

  1. Pure chance took me here Alistair. How are you? I remember GHS, your eldest brother, Alan, who went to St Andrews with me, the Manse ...and you!

    ReplyDelete