Monday, May 14, 2012

Fearn, Logie Easter, and Kilmuir Easter

5/14/12  It is now two days after my mother's birthday and one day after mother's day in the US. I am backtracking on my experiences over the past week or so. On Sunday, May 5 I set off north early in the morning to attend church in the linked congregation of Logie Easter and Kilmuir Easter. The services alternate month by month and in May they were being held at Logie. I received a warm welcome as a son of the manse and met my first Sunday School teacher, Pat, and Judith who remembered great birthday parties at the manse in our childhood. By prior arrangement the new minister came after service in my car and showed me round Kilmuir Church and then took my back to the manse for some lunch. It was very special to be in the church and home where I lived from age 2 to 12. I also drove over to look at Fearn Abbey and manse where family Friends Kenneth and Margaret were for so many years. Here are some of the pictures.

 Kilmuir Easter Church

Formerly Kilmuir Easter Primary School, opposite the church, where I and my brothers attended. The church also used the classrooms on Sundays for Sunday School. 
The brae between church and school where I once famously crashed my bike when cycling with my Dad and brother to an evening service in Milton. I had poor brakes and could not stop the bike so I rode right over the main road at the bottom and landed in a great big patch of nettles just to the left of the tree in this picture.
 
The path through the gravestones up to the church door (not visible but on the side just next to the yellow bush), so familiar and well trodden.

 Inside Kilmuir Easter Church

Still one of my favorite pulpits in all the churches I have seen.

  Stained Glass window in Kilmuir Easter church depicting Naomi and Ruth, much gazed at in my childhood.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alistair, my husband and I have just moved into the Old School at Kilmuir Easter and came across your blog while looking for old photos of it. I'd love to find out more about your time at the school and learn a little about this amazing building's history - let me know if you'd be up for a chat!

    ReplyDelete